U22 Elite Rules and Regulations
Click Above For Rules
Championship Weekend will be held on March 31st - April 2nd, 2023 at Westwood Arena, Etobicoke.
U22 Elite Championship Schedules
OWHA Elite U22 - League Regular Season Protocols and Procedures
Game Sheets/ Timekeeping:
- Please ensure you have a timekeeper in place who is familiar with the RAMP system. Game codes will be required to automatically generate the game sheet. These codes will be sent out to all teams
- Game sheets must be recorded/ submitted immediately following the game AFTER the referee has signed off on it
- Please ensure you have secured enough ice to complete the game in its entirety, including any OT play.
- If a game is curfewed and the game is PAST the 10-minute mark of the 3rd period, the score will stand AS IS.
- If the game has NOT past the 10-minute mark of the 3rd period, the game will need to be re-played and the score will not count.
- There is to be a FLOOD between the second and third period, with a 12-minute countdown on the clock. Teams MUST be back on their respective benches and ready to play PRIOR to the 12-minute countdown expiring. Teams that are not on their bench and ready to play at the buzzer will be assessed a delay of game penalty.
- Hybrid icing will be used, in keeping with IIHF rules. Teams are NOT permitted to change on an icing (against their team)
- Teams shall line up on the blue lines for starting lineup announcement and national anthem (COVID Protocol permitting)
- Teams shall NOT shake hands after the game with other team, coaches, referees, etc. (Due to COVID)
- Home Team is responsible for providing warm-up pucks for the Visiting Team
- Home Teams shall wear dark coloured jersey while visiting team shall wear light coloured jersey
- All games will have a 3-person referee system
- Teams may only dress/roster a maximum of 19 players for all league games (as per Hockey Canada)
- Hybrid Icing will be in effect:
- If any of the following occur, icing will NOT be called:
- If the puck is iced directly by a skater participating in a faceoff;
- If any opposing skater is able to play the puck before it crosses the icing line (including skaters who slow down to ensure the puck crosses the icing line or who pretend to skate fast but don’t make a genuine effort to get to the puck before it crosses the icing line);
- If a player making a line change ignores the puck to go to the bench instead of playing the puck, whether to avoid a penalty for too many people or any other reason;
- If the puck touches any part of an opponent’s body or equipment any time from when it is shot to when it crosses the icing line;
- If a goaltender leaves their goal crease during an icing play or is outside their goal crease and move in the direction of the puck;
- If the puck hits the goal frame and crosses the icing line
- All games will have a 5-minute warm-up
- Following the warmup there will be starting lineup announcements and then the anthem (COVID permitting)
- Period 1 and 2 will be 15 minutes stop-time
- Flood between the 2nd and 3rd period with a 12-minute countdown on the clock
- Period 3 will be 20 minutes stop-time
- OT (if necessary) will be a 5-minute, sudden victory, 3 on 3 period
Penalty Reporting/ Pick Up Player Procedure:
- The OWHA does not require a copy of the “Player Pick Up” form to be sent in, however a copy MUST be retained for your records should the OWHA request it in the case of a challenge. Player pick up forms need to be completed for every pickup player being used, including from within your own organization.
- If a player is being picked up from outside your organization BOTH league presidents need to sign off on it
- Ensure you follow current procedures if there are any misconducts/ suspensions incurred/ served in the game
- ALL penalties recorded on the game sheet MUST show the appropriate penalty code
- All Games are to follow policies and regulations laid out in the OWHA Handbook (as per Hockey Canada)
- ALL suspensions/ served suspensions must be reported to the OWHA via email@example.com
immediately after game. You do not need to attach game sheet. Just reference player/ coach name, GM # and team.
- A team may have more than 5 staff registered on their OWHA roster, however in accordance with Hockey Canada guidelines no more than 5 staff members are allowed on the bench during a game
- A minimum of 2 people must be on the bench. A designated Head Coach and a Trainer with a current and valid HTCP certification.
***These protocols and procedures are to be used in conjunction with ANY COVID protocols in place within your region/ at your facility.